June 12th, 2013
As the temperature starts to rise here in Virginia, more homeowners are starting to turn on their air conditioning systems. But all this sudden usage can cause a number of undesirable issues for your air conditioning system. Getting regular maintenance for your air conditioning system is a great way to potentially reduce the need for air conditioning repair. As your air conditioning system operates, it will develop small problems. These issues will likely grow and develop into larger, more costly repairs. Maintenance will not only save you money by reducing these repairs, but it can also help your AC run more efficiently.
- Find problems early – Probably the most obvious way that regular maintenance might be able to reduce the need for repair is by allowing you to find problems early. During regular maintenance visits, our technicians thoroughly inspect and clean all of the he components of your air conditioning system. They will specifically look for any worn out, loose or dirty parts.
- Find problems before they start – By getting regular air conditioning maintenance you could be able to find problems even before they start. During regular maintenance visits from Polar Bear, our experts will change and replace parts that often break. We’ll replace your air filter, your fan belt and any other parts that need to be changed. This could be able to keep them from ever developing problems.
For any McLean, VA air conditioning repair service you need, make sure that you call Polar Bear. We are passionate about our customers’ satisfaction and the level of workmanship that we do.
June 5th, 2013
A packaged air conditioning unit is unique because all of the system components are packaged together in a single unit. A typical split system, on the other hand, keeps the indoor air handler/evaporator and the outdoor condenser/compressor separate. A packaged system often sits on the roof or outside away from the home. Like all AC units, however, your packaged system may encounter problems during operation that will need to be fixed by a trained professional. While professional installation and routine, preventive maintenance go a long way towards ensuring that you stay cool and comfortable during the summer, some problem are inevitable. Call Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating today for quality air conditioning repair in Alexandria, VA.
Let’s take a look at a few common problems with packaged systems:
- Compressor fault: Your compressor is the engine of the packaged system. It is responsible with pressurizing and circulating the refrigerant through the coils and valve. This is what you hear kick on during start-up. However, because it is so essential to effective operation, it is vital that any problems with its operation be professionally inspected and taken care of.
- Thermostat miscalibrated: The thermostat is the user interface of the air conditioning system. Without it, the AC would not be able to sense what temperature it is—it would simply be an on/off operation. The thermostat allows you set a desire point for the AC, but if the thermostat is not calibrated to read the temperature accurately, then it will not work properly.
- Dirty condenser coils: The condenser coils are responsible for dissipating the thermal energy absorbed from the indoor air. The exhaust fan assists with this. But if the coils have dirt or debris on them, then this dissipation process cannot possibly be efficient. It may lead to inadequate cooling and even warm air.
- Low refrigerant: Your refrigerant charge should remain the same throughout the service life of your AC. But if there is a leak in the coils, your refrigerant level could decline, and this leads to higher energy expenditure as well as possible system damage.
Call Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating today for thorough air conditioning repair in Alexandria, VA.
May 27th, 2013
Every year on the final Monday of May, citizens of America come together to honor those who have served our country. Formerly known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day came to prominence after the American Civil War to commemorate the fallen soldiers on either side. Although its origins are somewhat ambiguous, it has always been about bringing people together to recognize our country’s military personnel and history. We want to take this opportunity to thank all the men and women who have served our country.
Memorial Day also marks the beginning of summer. We hope that you have a wonderful day off, and that it is a great start to your summer!
May 21st, 2013
Are you tired of paying to repair your old AC on a regular basis? Do you need a new cooling solution for your new home? Whatever your reasons for needing an air conditioning installation, you need to ensure that you get the right system for your home. This depends on numerous factors, some of which we’d like to explore in today’s post. But the most important factor is the quality of the installation itself, which should always be performed by a qualified technician. If you’re in need of air conditioning installation in Arlington, VA, call Polar Bear today!
- Size. Bigger is not better when it comes to air conditioning. Installing the largest system you can get your hands irrespective of the size of your home will not give you even more or better performance. In fact, a system that is too large can lead to inefficient cooling, uncontrollable temperatures, and even system damage because of all the short cycling. On the other hand, a system that is too small leads to inadequate cooling performance and a system that is constantly overworking itself to get by, which can also lead to system damage. Make sure your AC fits your home.
- Type. You’ll need to decide what type of system you want to have in your home. The central air split system is the most popular throughout the country. It involves the installation of an outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air handler/evaporator. These units are connects to each by a lineset, and the cooling circuit uses the temperature changes of a circulating refrigerant to remove thermal energy from your home and send cool air into your home. There is also the option of a packaged system, which house all of the components in one outdoor unit. This allows for easy access during maintenance and repairs.
- Other considerations. Installing a digital, programmable thermostat and enrolling in a preventive maintenance program at the time of installation are both great ways to ensure that your system does not go neglected.
If you need a professional, quality air conditioning installation in Arlington, VA, look no further than the experts at Polar Bear. Call us today!
May 16th, 2013
Are you in the market for a new air conditioner? If so, then you have an unprecedented amount of choices to make. Considering all of the different brands and types of systems that are available these days, the selection of equipment can seem like a daunting prospect. Yet, you shouldn’t overlook the importance of professional installation. No matter what type of equipment you get, if it’s not properly installed, then it simply won’t perform well. Since this is such a major investment, you would do well to ensure that your installation is carried out by an AC technician. In this post, we’d like to look at how the quality of your Alexandria, VA air conditioning installation affects performance.
- Size: Simply put, your air conditioner needs to be appropriately sized if it is to perform well. During professional installation, your technician will perform a load calculation, which measures the potential volume of air in your home that needs to be cooled, as well as other factors. This is then compared with the BTU and tonnage ratings of the air conditioners in your budget and the process of selection begins. Even before the installation gets started, there are important decisions to be made.
- Quality: A professional AC technician has the equipment, tools, and technical expertise to ensure that all aspects of your installation run smoothly. In order to perform satisfactorily, your AC needs to have the correct “charge,” which is the level of refrigerant that circulates throughout the coils and compressor. Moreover, all of the piping connections need to be correctly joined together so that no refrigerant leaks occur.
- Reliability: A professionally installed air conditioner followed up with routine maintenance will churn out years of solid cooling, no matter what the outside temperature is. There’s simply no other way to rely on consistent performance from your AC than by hiring a professional.
If you have any further questions about the importance of professional air conditioning installation, then do not hesitate to get in touch with us. For comprehensive Alexandria, VA air conditioning services, call Polar Bear today!
May 6th, 2013
Homeowners throughout the McLean, VA area are gearing up their air conditioning systems for the heat and humidity of the summer months. One question that we often get asked is whether routine maintenance is necessary. Well, that probably depends upon your point of view. Necessary to what? To energy efficiency, performance, indoor air quality, and possibly even your manufacturer’s warranty? Yes, it most certainly is. If you have received professional installation for your AC, then you’re well on your way to lasting home comfort, but don’t stop there. Professional routine maintenance is a cost-effective way to ensure that your home stays crisp and cool all summer long. Call the McLean, VA air conditioning pros at Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating today!
Professional maintenance visits involves comprehensive inspection, cleaning and tune-ups of all aspects of your system. Inspecting equipment for unsafe conditions, refrigerant leaks, electrical problems, clogged condensate drains, among others, allows your tech a close-up view of the details of your system. Cleaning of coils and filters, and lubrication of motor parts allow your AC to work as it should.
- Performance: You can’t expect a neglected air conditioning system to perform as it should. Even high-end models that are designed to be powerful will gradually become less effective if they are not routinely maintained. Performance depends upon clean coils, efficient airflow, and the integrity of the electrical systems.
- Energy efficiency: With good performance comes high energy efficiency. You need your AC not only to bring you cool air, but also to do it efficiently. While we cannot control the cost of energy in our area, we can control how we use it. By keeping your system clean and tuned-up on a routine basis, you can keep your energy bills to a minimum.
- Manufacturer’s warranty: Depending on how old your AC is and who installed it, professional routine maintenance may actually be necessary in order to make sure your AC is protected. Speak to your installer or refer to your information packet for further details.
If you’re still unconvinced as to the merits of professional McLean, VA air conditioning maintenance, call Polar Bear Air Conditioning & heating today to learn more about our services!
April 29th, 2013
As we gear up for the summer here in Arlington, VA, homeowners throughout the area are making sure that their air conditioning systems work well. During the off-season, your AC may have developed a few quirks, or perhaps you managed to stave off a problem at the end of the last cooling season that will now need to be dealt with. Whatever your situation, it’s critical that you hire a professional to make any necessary repairs on your AC, be it a central split or packaged system. We’d like to share with you 3 common air conditioning problems, with the hope that it might help you identify a minor issue before it balloons into a serious problem, or causes an inconvenient breakdown during the hottest days of summer. For air conditioning services in Arlington, VA, call Polar Bear Air Conditioning today!
- Frozen evaporator coil: Your evaporator coil cools the warm air in your home. As it cools the air, the water vapor in the air condenses on the coils. If your AC has air flow problems or low refrigerant, that water vapor can freeze on the coils instead of draining, which prevents your AC from cooling effectively.
- Overheated compressor: If there is any disruption of the airflow within your AC, then it can cause serious problems in other areas of the system, not to mention poor energy efficiency. For example, if your air filter is clogged with dust and debris, it can cause your system to work harder, so much so that your compressor may overheat. Your compressor is the major engine of the cooling cycle; it pressurizes the refrigerant, causing it to circulate throughout the coils. If it overheats, you may have to be replace it.
- Condensate drain leak: There is a condensate drain pan fitted beneath your evaporator coil that catches the water vapor condensation on the external surface of the coils. Over time, or because of physical damage, it may begin to leak into your air handler, or outside the indoor unit.
Whatever your AC problem, we are here to help. When you need excellent air conditioning repair in Arlington, VA, call the experts at Polar Bear Air Conditioning.
April 22nd, 2013
As the cooling season approaches in Washington, DC, homeowners and tenants throughout the area are turning on their air conditioning systems to ensure that they are ready to go for the hot months. We rely a lot on our air conditioning systems, and it’s no wonder that with all the use they get over the years, that there may come a time when they need professional repair. One of the most common problems that we encounter is when a client’s AC won’t turn on. In this post, we’d like to review some possible causes for this problem. For Washington, DC air conditioning service, call the experts at Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating today!
- Thermostat fault: First, you should double-check your thermostat. Make sure it’s set to a temperature that calls for cooling, and that the fan is on. If this doesn’t change anything, then there may be a connectivity issue between it and the air handler, which sends cool air into your ductwork to be distributed into your living spaces. The thermostat may also be improperly calibrated, so that it’s not sensing the temperature of your indoor air properly.
- Electrical problem: If your AC won’t turn on, the problem is likely electrical in nature. There are various control switches to your AC, both at the air handler and the outdoor condenser/compressor. Make sure that both are in the on position. You should also check for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker, both of which can affect the power supply to your AC.
- Condensate drain pan overflow: Often, air conditioners have a water overflow shutoff switch that cuts off the power should water leak into the air handler. This is to prevent electrical damage. Because your evaporator coil causes water vapor to condense on the surface of its coils, there is a condensate drain pan located just beneath them to catch and drain any water away from the mechanical parts of the air handler. If this overflows because of a clog in the drainpipe, then your AC may automatically shut itself off.
We hope this gives you some idea as to the range of problems that can cause an AC to fail to turn on. For more information, or to schedule Washington, DC air conditioning service, call Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating today!
April 15th, 2013
Air conditioning and air quality often go hand in hand, just like heat and humidity. In Washington D.C., we rely on our air conditioning to provide crisp, cool air so that when we come home after a long day, we can enjoy respite from the hot sun outside. Your air conditioner provides some dehumidification in the process, and its air filter does remove some of the pollutants that can find their way into your home living space, but in order to improve your total comfort, you need to ensure that your indoor air quality is high during the cooling season. In this post, we’d like to address this relation by recommending some ways you can improve both your air conditioning and your indoor air quality. For Washington D.C. air conditioning services, call the experts at Polar Bear Air Conditioning today!
- Air filtration: Your air conditioner’s air filter is designed to prevent dust and debris from ruining the mechanical parts of your air conditioning system. While this provides some air filtration for your indoor air, it is not designed to provide comprehensive air filtration, which may be necessary if your home suffers from contaminants and pollutants, such as pollen, dander, bacteria, and dust mites. Consult with an air filtration and air cleaner expert to see which whole-home option would be best for you.
- UV germicidal lights: Ultraviolet light destroys microorganisms before they enter your ductwork. UV germicidal lights are a relatively simple device, although they require professional installation to work correctly. They are installed directly into your air handler.
- Enroll in a maintenance program: Professional inspection, cleaning, and tune-ups are the best ways to keep your air conditioning working well and your air quality high. By enrolling in a preventive maintenance program, you are ensuring that your system is always working as efficiently and effectively as possible.
While our modern homes are energy efficient, they often prevent adequate ventilation. The EPA lists indoor air pollution as one of the top 5 environmental risks to our health. For Washington D.C. air conditioning and indoor air quality services, call the experts at Polar Bear Air Conditioning today!
April 8th, 2013
Heat pumps make a great addition to any home in Arlington, VA. They are widely recognized to be one of the most energy efficient ways to cool your home, and they also work during the heating season to provide warmth and comfort. This type of flexibility allows you to save money. If you’re in the market for a new air conditioning system, consider a heat pump. Most importantly, though, make sure you opt for reliable and professional installation so you know your system will work well for years to come. If you need a heat pump in Arlington, VA, call the pros at Polar Bear Air Conditioning today!
Let’s take a look at how a heat pump works. Heat pumps work just like air conditioners. They extract warm air from your home, blow it over the cool refrigerant in the evaporator coils, and return the cooled air into your home. The refrigerant has now been pressurized by the warm air and is sent through to the compressor, where the heat exhausts outside. The cycle then repeats itself. The essential principle behind the heat pump is heat transfer, although we often think of it merely as cool air entering our homes.
But heat pumps are more versatile than your average air conditioner. They are equipped with a device that allows the refrigerant to work in reverse, so that they can draw heat from even the coldest temperature outside to warm the cold air removed from the inside of your home and thereby heat your home. This type of versatility makes them incredibly energy efficient. And that means you save money.
One of the most important things to keep in mind as you shop for heat pumps is their size. For your heat pump to operate correctly, it needs to be properly sized to your unique living space. This requires professional assessment not only of the volume of air in your living space, but perhaps also considering the placement of the heat pump equipment. Professional installation will go a long way towards making sure that your heat pump continues to save you money on your energy bill throughout the year. For more information about our Arlington, VA heat pump and air conditioning services, call Polar Bear Air Conditioning today!