Ductwork can be easily forgotten because it isn’t very visible, but problems do develop with it. Common ductwork problems can include leaks, holes, cracks, broken seals, pests, debris, and dust and dirt build-up. Clearly, a lot can happen with your air ducts, but just as other parts of your air conditioner will give an indication of developing problems, so, too, does your ductwork in Washington, DC. Here are some of the more common signs our Polar Bear technicians see when it comes to ductwork repair needs:
- Issues with airflow – decreased air flow can mean a few things, but if all other possibilities are ruled out (such as low refrigerant or fan problems), it may be time to take a look at your ductwork and see what’s happening. Cracks, holes, broken seals, disconnections and obstructions can all constrict the air flow in your system and ultimately affect your indoor air quality.
- Abnormal sounds – rattling, whistling and humming can all indicate that there are loose components or other issues with your ductwork; scratching and scampering sounds can be indicative of pests. All should be inspected to find the root cause.
- Higher utility bills – have you noticed a sharp increase in your monthly energy bill but haven’t changed how you’ve been operating your AC? Faulty ductwork can account for up to 30% of air loss, which is a large amount of air to compensate for.
- Hot and cold spots – inconsistent temperature can be an indication that air is not delivering evenly throughout your home because of issues with the ductwork.
- Increased humidity – cracks, holes and disconnections can allow humidity and moisture into the ductwork, which then gets delivered into your home.
- Increased dust – are you seeing more dust in your home than usual? It could be coming directly from the vent work.
Don’t Do Ductwork Repairs Yourself
Ductwork repair is complex and requires the use of certain tools you may not have or may not be familiar with. Instead of trying to repair the ductwork in your Washington DC home yourself, call an expert: Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating, Inc. We’ve been fabricating, installing and repairing ductwork in the Washington DC area for almost 15 years.
Don’t let your ductwork compromise the operation of your air conditioning system – call Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating, Inc., today.