Here in Alexandria VA, air conditioning maintenance should take place at least once a year, after the snows of winter have left but before air conditioning season begins in earnest. This is an important step in keeping your air conditioner functioning and reducing the risk of a serious repair issue in the bargain. A tune-up lets the technician clean dirty components, recharge refrigerant levels and look for any potential issues that require a more in-depth repair session. On a more specific level, what happens during AC maintenance? We’ve outlined the basic steps below.
- The technician arrives and shuts off power to the air conditioner, then opens it and examines the components.
- The technician cleans the condenser coils and the evaporator coils, which are key to the air conditioner working as it should. (The condenser coils are on the outdoor part of the unit, so they tend to get a little dirtier.)
- The technician checks the refrigerant levels, which needs to be at set amount determined by the precise nature of your air conditioner.
- The technician checks the drain pans and lines to make sure they aren’t clogged or misaligned.
- The technician checks all of the components, including the fan, fan motor, tubing, compressor and electronic components to see if any of them are damaged.
- The technician adds oil to lubricate any moving parts that require it.
- The technician turns on the air conditioner and lets it run, then looks for any unusual stains, odors, noises and leaks. He or she will also check the system pressure and the coolness of the air being generated, as well as examining the ducts for any leaks.
- The technician shuts off the air conditioner and closes up the system. If any serious repairs are needed, he or she can then schedule it with you.
If you know what happens during AC maintenance, the next step is to contact a representative who can perform the operation with courtesy and care. In Alexandria VA, air conditioning maintenance can be performed by Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating Inc. Give us a call today and let us show you what we can do!