We are not currently hiring, but please submit your resume for future consideration. Read More

Skip navigation


Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating Inc. Blog

Why Is Carbon Monoxide So Dangerous?

There is a lot to be said about being able to live comfortably and conveniently in your own home. However, it is even more important that you are able to live safely. If you do not have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, there is no way in which you can hope to do so.

Carbon monoxide is a very dangerous gas, but a good carbon monoxide detector, professionally installed and serviced, is all that you need to protect yourself and your family. Read on to learn more about carbon monoxide, and give us a call with any questions that you may have.

Carbon Monoxide: What It Is, And How to Protect Yourself

As stated above, carbon monoxide is a gas. It is also completely odorless, colorless, and tasteless, which is why it is so very problematic. In high enough concentrations, and with a long enough exposure time, carbon monoxide exposure can be fatal. Because the gas has no characteristics discernible to humans (odor, taste, etc.), a CO detector is necessary to protect yourself from exposure.

So how does carbon monoxide get into a home, anyway? Well, it is actually generated via the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. If you use any fossil fuels, such as oil or natural gas, to heat your home or to fuel your appliances, then you are generating some carbon monoxide. Even burning a bio fuel like wood in a fireplace can create it. That is why the proper ventilation of these appliances and systems is so incredibly important.

Even if your systems are professionally installed and serviced, though, you need CO detectors in place. You cannot afford to take any chances with your safety or with that of those in your home. Low level exposure to carbon monoxide can lead to flu-like symptoms, including headaches and nausea. The symptoms get more severe at higher levels, including confusion, vomiting, and, eventually, death. A CO detector is just what you need to prevent the onset of any such symptoms, let alone the worst case scenario.

Give Polar Bear Air Conditioning & Heating Inc. a call for great HVAC services in Washington, D.C.

Comments are closed.